Xunantunich - Belize Mayan Ruin
- Location: Succotz Village, Western Highway
- Description: Half Day Tour or as Combination Tour
- Recommended Wear: Hiking boots or sneakers
- Combine With: Zip Line, Cave Tube, Horseback, River Kayak or Baboon Sanctuary
- Level: Easy - Moderate (some walking & stair climbing)
The name, according to one interpretation, means "Maiden of the Rock" in the Yucatec dialect. What you will see today is a Classic period (300-900 AD) ceremonial center, with large plazas ringed with pyramids. The center is composed of six major plazas surrounded by more than 25 temples and palaces. We highly recommend that you make the steep, but short, 130ft climb to the top of "El Castillo." This vantage point provides a breathtaking, 360 degree, panoramic view over the jungle canopy of the Macal, Mopan and Belize River valleys, as well as a vast area of the Guatemalan Peten District.