Chechem Ha - Maya pottery cave
- Location: Vaca Plateau, Cayo District
- Description: Half Day Tour or Combination Tour
- Combine With: Xunantunich, Cave Tubing, Horseback Riding, River Kayak
- Recommended Wear: hiking boots, long pants, t-shirt
- Level: Moderate (jungle trek, caving activity)
Those who make the trip to Chechem Ha will not be disappointed. This interesting day's outing begins atop the Vaca Plateau in the Cayo District on a small subsistence farm belonging to the Moralez family, who discovered a cave on their property while hunting with their dogs. You can imagine their amazement when, upon later exploring the cave, they found over sixty intact Maya jars and other pottery that have remained undisturbed since the cave was abandoned around 900 A.D. The small, unimpressive opening of this cave divulges little of what lies beyond. As you step into the cool darkness, the cave opens up to reveal winding limestone passageways with tall, narrow rooms, and overhead ledges littered with pottery.